The top 5 things you should know about a FHA home buyer loan
1. Lowest down payment available: This program allows for down payment of only 3.5%.
2. FHA loans require mortgage insurance: Mortgage insurance is simply an insurance policy that protects the lender in case you stop making payments on the loan. This allows lenders to offer loans with less than 20% down payment. You are responsible for paying the premiums for this insurance policy. The FHA first time home buyer loan has both an upfront and monthly premium.
3. Upfront mortgage insurance premium: There is an upfront premium for mortgage insurance that is currently 2.25% of the loan amount. Here’s an example:
•Purchase price: $300,000
•Down payment: 3.5% = $10,500
•Loan amount: 96.5% of purchase price = $289,500
•Upfront insurance: 2.25% of $289,500 = $6,613.75
Seems like a lot of money to have to come up with right? Not to worry, a FHA first time home buyer loan allows you to include this premium in your financed loan amount. So, instead of having a loan amount of $289,500, it would include the $6,613.75 and you would make payments on a $296,113.00 loan (the .75 cents has to be paid separate)
4. Monthly mortgage insurance premium: You will also pay a small monthly insurance premium that is included in your mortgage payment. As I write this, the monthly premium is .55% of the loan amount. Here’s an example:
•Loan amount after including upfront mortgage insurance = $296,113.00
•Monthly mortgage insurance premium: .55% = $1,628.62 (annual premium) divided by 12 = $134.72 added to your monthly mortgage payment.
5. Easier qualifying guidelines: A FHA first time home buyer loan makes it easier for first time buyers to purchase a home. Here’s an example of how a FHA loan is more flexible than a non-FHA loan:
•Allows higher debt to income ratio (determines how much of your income can be spent on mortgage payment)
•Allows for co-signer – A parent or family member can help you qualify
•Allows gift funds for down payment – You can get a gift from a family member to pay all of down payment
•No penalties for credit scores – Non FHA loans have increased closing costs if your credit score is under 740.
Call Today For More Info On Getting Qualified: (912-332-1501)
© 2017 Hinesville Area Board of REALTORS All rights reserved. Information deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. The data relating to real estate for sale on this website comes in part from the Broker Reciprocitysm Program. Real estate listings held by brokerage firms other than Remax All American Realty are marked with the BR logo and detailed information about them includes the name of the listing brokers. Listing broker has attempted to offer accurate data, but buyers are advised to confirm all items. Information last updated on 2017-08-20.